[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: PIRATA internal ballot, results

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Mon Jan 26 11:43:40 CET 2009

> However we do have a strategy -look at the pirate parties at a glance-:
>
> http://int.piratenpartei.de/Pirate_Manifesto_parties_at_a_glance
Yes, I know, I know, and I *never* get tired to explain y position.

> - civil rights & liberties (privacy, freedom of speech, etc)
I explained why I do not endorse this issue as a PP strategy principle 1) it
is indirect 2) it is obvious 3) it is ambiguous, and may also be used quite
contrary to PPs objectives 4) it is overused
> - enhancing freedom of information (encouraging the information society,
Without further substantiation, this is an empty statement everybody will
subscribe to
> changing the patent system, changing the author's rights system)
OK, this is more or less the core - but change is more a means to an end,
and in a "manifesto" the end should be specified.
> - public office transparency & accountability
I am strongly opposed against this objective, because (at least in a Dutch
setting) this would put the PPs on one line with (usually far right wing)
populist parties who blame the political system not to be responsive to the
real needs of real people. In my perception, the problem is much simpler:
the typical PP interests (e.g. og *users* of copyrighted works) are not
properly represented in politics, which is probably to a large extent due to
a lack of public awareness.

Again, many political parties prosper with only a few basic principles. And
I am prepared to write the PPs pinciples - on just one A4 sheet.

reinier