[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: PIRATA internal ballot, results

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Mon Jan 26 12:50:45 CET 2009

> Reinier,
> so you are against/in disagreement with:
If you phrase it this way, yes, apparently I disagree with almost
everything. Indeed I have serious concerns about the *presentation*. But I
full subscribe to most *practical* goals of the Swedish PP and the German
(+Hessian) PP. What is the reason for the paradox. Let me summarise my
position on each of these items:

> * the strategy
Is there an explicit strategy? Or do you really mean the sum of all items
below?

> * the philosophy/principles
In my perspective, eventually the purpose is to get to a more balanced
policy on "information" = so-called intellectual property, and privacy. Does
this differ from the PP philosophy/principles you had in mind?

> * the civil rights/human rights approach
Yes, here is a strong disagreement, because these arguments are indirect and
potentially counter-productive. The UNDR puts the interests of the rights
owners first, and the (envisaged) European Charter (part of the Lisbon
treaty) apparently does the same. And many people tend to believe that
privacy should be sacrificed for the sake of safety (also a human right!)
and to protect the property rights of authors (allegedly also a human
right). Rather than contesting those arguments, it is much easier to address
the related practical issues directly.

> * the copyright extension
I certainly do not object against copyright extension! (I actively
cooperated in the present struggle against the extension of neighbouring
rights - did you?). You probably mean that I object copyright term
*reduction*. Indeed, because this is an unrealistic proposal (for
"technical" reasons I won't elaborate here again), and such proposals may
backfire and become counter-productive. Furthermore, there are plenty of
opportunities for more realistic copyright reform proposals.

> * the transparency/accountability issue
Yes, for the reasons I already gave, and because it is a topic unrelated to
the prime (=other) PP objectives. In my perception, the PPs should not
oppose the present political system, but exploit it. The reason that for
instance mass surveillance is adopted in SE and DE is that there are
political majorities allowing that to happen, because voters do not
understand the issue and/or there are no political parties (not yet!) to
voice opposition against mass surveillance.

> * the manifesto, the amendments
The net effect of the above concerns indeed is that I disagree on the
Manifesto proposals. My understanding is that only a few PPs cooperated on
the Manifestos last year, and many others quitted the project after flame
wars. So not supporting the manifesto's frankly is not the same as not
suporting the PP ideals!

> * the "pirate" name
I only said that I was not entirely convinced. Again, the question is
whether the name supports the purpose, or may be counter-productive.
Actually I was more or less convinced, but then I talked recently to the
chairman of a (pretty successful) activist group in The Netherlands. He was
excited about the idea of establishing a political party, but he abhorred
the "pirate" designation spontaneously.

reinier