[pp.int.general] cultural flatrate: PP position?

pp at christian-hufgard.de pp at christian-hufgard.de
Tue Jun 9 11:26:11 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 11:15:51AM +0200, Félix Robles wrote:

> > "But I also want that artist retreive money, if someone copies their work -
> > unless the artists themselves  decide to free their work"
> >

> And that's absolutely against what every Pirate Party is trying to achieve.
> What you are saying there is exactly the position of the RIAA, MPAA and all
> those lobbys.

No. RIAA, MPAA, GEMA and all the others don't want any free art. The want to be paid themselves for each copy - after having signed buy-out-contracts with the artists.

> And it  is wrong because a download/copy doesn't mean a lost
> sale. It also doesn't mean 0.001 lost sales if that's what you are thinking.
> It means ZERO lost sales!

I fully agree. And in the case of a "traditional" copy the artist even receives some money - or the rightowner does. What do you suggest artists to do? Oh, I forget that you are just lobbying for downloaders and not for artists.

I suggest them to free their art at least cc-by-nc-sa, get famous in the net and gain money with live-shows and direct sales of cds, shirts and other fanwork.

> And that's absolutely against what every Pirate Party is trying to achieve.

Then I must have misunderstood the uppsala declration.

Christian