[pp.int.general] cultural flatrate: PP position?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Tue Jun 9 17:36:07 CEST 2009

>>> And like with levies on other media, a tax on the internet access
>>> would take a lot of wind from the lawyers - at least in germany.
>> I am aware of the Abmahnwahn problem in Germany. Is that why you want
>> flatrates? Indeed this Abmahnwahn problem is dreadful.
>
> I consider it as a fair solution - if the money is not at all given to
> GEMA.
Uh, where else should the money go? To the attorneys? I think it is pretty
miserable if attorneys start "factories" on their own, to make a business.
It is contrary to the special status of attorneys. There is a "market
failure" in the sense that the risk for the attorney firm is zero, and the
threat for individuals so big that they refrain from asking whether this
threat is lawful.

> Like I said, I would see it as a fair solution. Money for those, who
> does not want to have their art copied for free, and also money for
> supporting free artists.

PP is not on earth to *confirm* basically the present system. Which is -
admittedly - not entirely unreasonable (only 90% unreasonable, I guess). We
need creative, imaginative, innovative solutions that challenge 100+ year
old assumptions of present copyright law, well, after Gutenbuerg, but before
most other technbological developments.

Anyway, on a more practical level, most of the collective money goes to the
distributors, as a comopensation for the "investment" in the artists. But -
as I said before - these industries have spread their risks.

reinier