[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Nicolas Sahlqvist nicco77 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 15:39:20 CET 2009

Hi Christian,

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Christian Hufgard
<pp at christian-hufgard.de>wrote:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Nicolas Sahlqvist wrote:
>
    > The principles all agree that non-commercial copying should be allowed
in

>  > contrast to your arguments about respect to the artist regardless if it
> is
> > commercial or non-commercial use of copyrighted content.
>
> It's pretty intersting, that in the thread "3-step usage rights / forced
> licensing model" moral rights are beeing defined. Also there have been
> given examples, that five year commercial copyright might be not
> sufficant. And nobody starts to flame the persons who write that...
>
> Well, the moral right does not effect the use of content for non-commercial
use, the way you expressed your opinions disregarded the distinction between
commercial and non-commercial use and that is a critical point to the
discussion.

> > Maybe you were actually referring to commercial use of copyrighted
> > content?
> > We do not support that you can buy pirated copies of music and movies on
> > the
> > street like they do in Asia etc. nor any other commercial activity with
> > copyrighted content while the copyright period has not expired.
>
> Yeah, but reducing copyrights to five years will espacially harm smaller
> rightholders. They loose their copyrights after five years and whatever
> they produced can be produced cheaper by the big ones. Of course, for
> consumers this is great. Also for the major labels... But what about the
> artists? Today they still get money if a 10 year old copy of their work is
> produced.
>
> The artists would have to adapt by arranging concerts, produce new content
(the world changes in 10 years so there should be enough inspiration), get
paid as advisories for othethat does not appear to be the case.r artists
etc. or get a "normal" work as I previously stated.

> > This clearly shows that the primary concern is
> > the citizen's rights rather then the copyright, i.e copyright comes
> > secondary.
>
> So there is a chance, that I still am a pirate, even if I respect the
> creators wishes?
>
> You do not have to agree with all the PP's principles in order to be a
pirate, but it helps to be in sync with your members when you have a leading
position within a PP and the flamewar discussion with German PP's on this
list kinda indicates that this is not the case.

- Nicolas
  PPI / PPSE member