[pp.int.general] One good, one bad

Jerry Weyer jerry.weyer at piratepartei.lu
Tue Nov 3 21:09:58 CET 2009

On 3 nov. 09, at 21:03, Félix Robles wrote:

> Perhaps we need to have that huge problem in order to do things the
> right way. The Lisbon treaty is a very important set of laws that
> override our  Constitutions and they should be approved through
> referendum. Maybe the Lisbon Treaty is a better thing that nothing,
> maybe not, but it only should be approved by the people, for the
> people, with the people. Otherwise, it's not democratic and that
> worse than "nothing approved".
>
> The ends do not justify the means in a democracy.

I completely agree. I didn't want to say that's ok how they did it, I
just wanted to explain why they did it. And perhaps that it's a bit
weird that for so long EU legislation (not just the treaties!)
override our constitutions, but just now everybody gets excited
because there was that word ("constitution").

So my point is:

- It's not ok to pass a constitutional text without a referendum (they
did sth. similar in Luxemburg with our national constitution several
months ago)
- We know why they did it (but still not ok).
- Now that it's done, it isn't the worst that could happen (substance
wise, from the procedure it's still not ok ;) ) and we should build
upon that. Get some representatives into the EU Parliament so that the
next treaty will be passed in a more democratic way!

Jerry