[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Wed Nov 4 12:45:55 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 11:02 +0100, Christian Hufgard wrote:

> Why do we want to allow somebody to sell somebody elses work without
> permission? Private non commercial copies - accepted. But why allow
> commercial copies without permission? Which problem does this solve?

Because - if you make a "mashup" that offends the sensibilities of the
original author - you can't do anything with it. Again, you'd be back to
having culture locked up and people unable to build on it.

Do we let people see further because they can stand on the shoulders of
giants?

Or we tell them to get lost and go buy a telescope?

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil