[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Wed Nov 4 13:43:03 CET 2009

Brian McNeil wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 11:02 +0100, Christian Hufgard wrote:
>
>> Why do we want to allow somebody to sell somebody elses work without
>> permission? Private non commercial copies - accepted. But why allow
>> commercial copies without permission? Which problem does this solve?
>
> Because - if you make a "mashup" that offends the sensibilities of the
> original author - you can't do anything with it. Again, you'd be back to
> having culture locked up and people unable to build on it.

A "mashup" is something completly different then selling copies of the
orginal work. In germany this is defined as "free adaptation" and is
legal. Of course in the end it might end up to a judge to decide of what
you did was a free adaption or just a bad copy of the orginal.

> Do we let people see further because they can stand on the shoulders of
> giants?
>
> Or we tell them to get lost and go buy a telescope?

Are people giants, just because they can climb on their shoulders?

Christian