[pp.int.general] 3. Re: One good, one bad (Jerry Weyer)

Felix LeChaste felixlechaste at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:51:22 CET 2009

Le 5 nov. 09 à 12:27, Jerry Weyer a écrit :

> Denounce the EU as unjust? I'm sorry that I have to be that clear
> but you don't have an idea what the EU is and what it did the last
> 60 years! The ACTA, INDECT, the procedures are points that clearly
> must be changed, but you just aren't able to see the big picture if
> you see the EU as sth. threatening. Read about the history of the EU
> and retrace the steps... you'll see it became more and more
> democratic... we have to encourage this process and not block it by
> denouncing the EU.
>
> We as the pirate parties depend upon the EU; our demands are global
> and cannot be fulfilled on a national scale. Lose the EU - lose the
> chance to change, it's that easy!

Methinks we face a talk about the glass that is half empty or half
full depending who's at the mic. ;)

I, myself, and me, decided some years back the treaty (TEC) was half
empty and I fought against it as I expected a huge step forward and
not the little step with bits of 19th-20th century nasty stuff in
between the EU is doing each time. Now the glass is still there, be it
half full or half empty, that's the fact and we have to work on the
glass so it can be full one day.

Now the Lisbon treaty will be at work, that's the fact, wether we like
it or not.

There's a lot going on, not only ACTA, iNDECT (sorry, keyboard issues
with the i and 8), procedures, and not (AFAiK) PP related stuff like
the Bolkenstein bill for example that is resurrected every other day.
I'm half Swiss, I vote both in France and Switzerland, in 2 very
different political and democratic systems. And it made me learn one
thing: if you (the people ;)  don't fight up for your right and shout,
nobody will. In France it's pretty bottled up, even more with our
current head of state ; in Switzerland if you really want to force
people to vote on one issue you can still do it ; for the EU, we have
still to tame the institutions idiosyncrasies and shortcomings on one
hand, and find the right way to voice out. We will never have tractors
and tons of milk to voice out. We will have to shout differently. As
the Parliament is slowly growing into confidence of its role, it'll be
easier for our deputies there. It is our main arena to make a
difference, will it suffice? No. The game must be played in both
directions: about the glass and the spice that should fill it. It's a
game to be played both in the Parliament and in each countries, not
necessarily to pass the bill we want, but to show a momentum.
Governments are sensible to pressure when it's large enough.

So…

To go on practical things: (the "yakafaukon" stuff ;)

- we have (somebody talked about it some days ago) to really learn the
LT to USE it. it's a tool, let's get a hand on it.
- we have to develop each our PP as much as we can (no necessarily to
reach huge member counts, but to count in the debate which is a
different thing)
- with both levers, coordinate continent wide political actions (by
any legal means*) to build pressure. The press releases like the one
this week is an exemple of a start.

*leave the illegal stuff to people who want to do so, we need someone
badder than we are to be the reasonable people can talk to. it seems
we have something like that in France already.

Enough ranting, let's play ^^

Denis
partipirate.org board of directors - Île-de-France head
NO DADVSI - NO HADOPI  - NO LOPPSI