[pp.int.general] Translation of the Pirate Manifesto

coretx coretx at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 12:59:13 CET 2009

That draft never was ratified.

grub |grəb|
noun
1 the larva of an insect, esp. a beetle.
• a maggot or small caterpillar.
2 informal food : a popular bar serving excellent grub.
verb ( grubbed |grəbd|, grubbing |grəbɪŋ|) [ intrans. ]
1 dig or poke superficially at the earth; dig shallowly in soil : the
damage done to pastures by badgersgrubbing for worms.
• [ trans. ] remove (something) from the earth by digging it up : all
the vines are grubbed up and the land left fallow for a few years.
• [ trans. ] clear (the ground) of roots and stumps : [as n. ]
( grubbing) construction operations including clearing and grubbing.
2 search for something in a clumsy and unmethodical manner; rummage :
I began grubbing about in the wastepaper basket to find the envelope.
• do demeaning or humiliating work in order to achieve something :
she has achieved material independence without having to grub for it.
• [ trans. ] achieve or acquire (something) in such a way : they were
grubbing a living from garbage pails.
DERIVATIVES
grubber |ˈgrəbər| |ˈgrʌbə| noun
ORIGIN Middle English : perhaps related to Dutch grobbelen, also to
grave 1 .