[pp.int.general] Big Brother in NL?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Mon Nov 16 20:49:46 CET 2009

I wonder what the basic position of PP would be towards road pricing would be.

My own position (until someone comvinces me I am wrong ...) is that a road pricing project is difficult and risky for many reasons, BUT that it is OK as a matter of principle to charge automobile owners for *using roads* instead for *owning a car*.

Having said that, I must say that our government makes a mess of most of its projects(*). But the result is that our government tries to avoid projects. The effect is a stand-still. If we say: no road pricing! we would effectively do the same thing as our government: avoid risks. just wait till it is all over.

reinier

(*) Most prominent examples are the freight railway built between Rotterdam harbour and Germany (which is believed to be never profitable - whil Rotterdam is one of the largest harbours in the world), and the high-speed railway built for billions of euro's between Amsterdam and the Belgian border, which was not used for several *years* after completion due to problems with the security system (the leading edge ERTS (?) system was chosen which has not been tested before, afaik).
The introduction of a nationwide public transportation chipcard is another failure. While this project was purposely delegated to a private consortium, thew parliament still required th government to interfere..