[pp.int.general] Anti-Piracy Cash Operation

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 21:22:21 CET 2009

Nope, sorry, it can NEVER be entrapment.

First of all, a civil company can never entrap. Not under UK law.
a) It HAS to be a member of law enforcement, or at their behest.
b) it has to be a criminal act, this is civilly actionable, not criminal.
c) they must entice the target to do the action that they would not
otherwise have done.

To clarify A, a snitch working for the police would count, if he is
doing it at their behest (ie a sting operation)
for B, well, copyright infringement is a civil matter in the UK,
except for monitary gain. That's why in the oink raid, for instance,
the police were told Alan was selling access, which made it a criminal
action.
And for C, this is what people don't understand very well. Imagine
drug dealing. If I went up to one, and said "can you get me some blow
[cocaine], I've got money for you if you can" that would be enticing
him. If instead I said "What have you got?" <answer> "Ok, how much for
that?" That is not enticing, as I've not encouraged him to commit a
crime.

These cases fail on all three aspects. It's something that's brought
up every time TorrentFreak runs a report on this, and it's the same
answer each time.

Also, MediaDefender was a bad example of a company for Type A - they
never did any logging, they did mostly swarm poisoning, and some fake
torrents.

And yes, I've been doing research on them for almost 2 years. I'll
happily sign NDAs.

Andrew