[pp.int.general] About TELECOM statement.

Valentin Villenave v.villenave at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 02:18:32 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 8:51 PM, ninHer <enrique at errea.es> wrote:
> Have all of you (pirate parties) agreed with Engström's statement?. If you
> do, why? And if you do not, why either?

Er, let's say it's still leading to heated arguments here in France as well.

Some of us like don't hesitate to criticize Christian for "not having
the balls" to oppose the revamped amendment.

Others believe he's been pragmatic and he had to compromize to
preserve some fundamental values in the amendment.

Others (like me) do not feel competent/psychich enough to judge so
early, and are eagerly waiting for an European Court to give its
vision of #138, and establish a clear case law. As it is now, I feel
it is not enforceable in a single, distinct way, so I'm not sure what
the various national governments will do with it (though I do expect
them to try and restrict civil liberties as much as they'll be allowed
to).

I agree with Nicolas: perhaps we can trust Christian to be much more
aware of the issues at stake and their complexity than we are. There
may also have been some hairy discussions between him and others MP
(inside and outside his group), which we aren't aware of. But it would
certainly be nice for some of us to get a chance to discuss this with
him directly, whenever/if he's able to.

Cheers,
Valentin