[pp.int.general] Environmentalists and pirates, free information perspective

Eric Priezkalns eric.priezkalns at pirateparty.org.uk
Wed Oct 28 17:12:55 CET 2009

> That is certainly not what I meant to say -- quite the contrary.  I
> think protecting the environment from global warming must be a
> priority for everyone.

Forgive me, but I don't agree with this statement and I find it
troubling.  You've implied similar things already in this thread, but
perhaps you are not fully conscious of the implications.  The use of
the word 'must' implies either a person prioritizes survival or there
is something wrong with them.  If you said that you believe protecting
the environment is a priority, then fair enough.  But you can't decide
what other people should prioritize.  Being free to decide your own
priorities is part of what it means to be free.

Many of the noblest examples of humanity are people who sacrifice
their lives for a higher cause, whether it be their beliefs, their
nation, or their loved ones.  I would rather that people continue to
have their freedom, including the right to commit suicide if they
decide.  I don't expect everyone to share my priorities, but I think
there are many problems with calls to sacrifice freedom for a higher
cause, even one like survival of the species.  Life is not always the
top priority for all people at all times.

The reason I make this point is that it is not unusual, throughout
history, for elites to argue that survival must override other
priorities, like freedom.  I would rather talk about a balance, than
which is more important.  Without emphasizing balance, you could end
up concluding that every national security law is good because it
helps to keep people alive, that abortion must be banned because it
destroys life, and that women who don't want to reproduce are
dysfunctional and that gays commit an offense against nature.  I'm not
saying that you believe that, rms, but the point is that if I was
going to assert a single universal priority, it would be freedom.  I
can deduce that survival is necessary for my freedom - I am not able
to do things if I don't exist, but I can't deduce freedom is necessary
for my survival.  That is why I would prefer to make freedom a
priority over even survival.

Saying all this, I recognize that you never stated protecting the
environment is THE priority, just a priority.  It's just that by
asserting what other people should believe you're opening a door for
sanctioning the imposition of this priority against the wishes of
people.  Freedom in society requires compromise, and the changes to
the environment demonstrates a global commonality that previously
eluded the human psyche.  As you are somebody who is notoriously
precise around language like 'IPR' I hope you can understand why I
would prefer more care around the choice of words like these too, and
that we're hearing a lot of opinions that suggest reconciling care for
the environment with liberty is straightforward, when that is far from
true.

To offer some extreme examples, North Korea doesn't emit much CO2 per
capita, and the Khmer Rouge's policies were very effective at closing
industry in order to pursue an agrarian dream.  I find Orwell's vision
of a future where a boot stamps on a human face forever to be more
troubling than the idea of the extinction of the species.  Instead of
imposing a point of view, I'd rather Pirates focused on freedoms and
set a positive agenda for how sharing information will help us better
protect the environment.  We can save the environment and be free, and
it would be better if we favour the language of positive solutions
through freedom, and avoid any language that could sound like imposing
answers and negating freedoms to satisfy a higher priority.  We're the
opposite of those people who want to impose their view of right and
wrong.  Let's always be proud of that, and clear about it.

Regards,

Eric