[pp.int.general] Environmentalists and pirates, free information perspective

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Thu Oct 29 14:50:08 CET 2009

    Forgive me, but I don't agree with this statement and I find it
    troubling.  You've implied similar things already in this thread, but
    perhaps you are not fully conscious of the implications.  The use of
    the word 'must' implies either a person prioritizes survival or there
    is something wrong with them.  If you said that you believe protecting
    the environment is a priority, then fair enough.  But you can't decide
    what other people should prioritize.

I can say what I think they need to prioritize, and that is what I did.

There is no present danger that a regime like North Korea or the Khmer
Rouge will be imposed on our countries.  There is great danger that
megacorporations will block action to stop global warming -- they are
already trying -- and the result could be mass death that makes the
Khmer Rouge look like nothing.  And if we wait until the dying starts
to take countermeasures, it will be too late.