[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Félix Robles redeadlink at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 15:17:50 CET 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Christian Hufgard <pp at christian-hufgard.de
> wrote:

> > The GPL protects the users' freedom by not letting
> > anyone have the power you want.
>

> But why is it bad to break the GPL and not bad to break copyrights? Just
> because you do not accept the contract, normal copyright implies?

Because breaking the GPL you take user's freedoms away, but breaking
privative licenses you give back user's freedoms to people. Those freedoms
should be recognised and enforced by law.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Christian Hufgard <pp at christian-hufgard.de
> wrote:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
> >>     Oh, at the moment I am just talking about freedom. The freedom to
> take GPL
> >>     code, modify it and sell the result without releasing it under GPL.
> >
> > This is not freedom, it is power. You want to be allowed to have power
> > over other people.  The GPL protects the users' freedom by not letting
> > anyone have the power you want.
>
> > You want to be allowed to have power over other people.
>
> Definitivly: No. Power imples responsibility. And I don't want to be
> responsibly for a too huge number of people.

¿Power implies responsibility? I think you've seen Spiderman too many times
:P

What you want is power indeed: you want to have the power to take away the
freedoms that the GPL gives to the people. Present copyright laws allow
privative licenses (those that take away people's freedoms) and also free
(as in freedom) licenses like GPL. As I just said, breaking the GPL you take
user's freedoms away, but breaking privative licenses you give back user's
freedoms

Félix