[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Sat Oct 31 19:16:54 CET 2009

Félix Robles wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Christian Hufgard <pp at christian-hufgard.de
>> wrote:
>
>>> The GPL protects the users' freedom by not letting
>>> anyone have the power you want.
>
>> But why is it bad to break the GPL and not bad to break copyrights? Just
>> because you do not accept the contract, normal copyright implies?
>

> Because breaking the GPL you take user's freedoms away,

That's a good point. Thx.

> but breaking privative licenses you give back user's freedoms to people.
> Those freedoms should be recognised and enforced by law.

But you as the user have agreed to that license. If you think they grant
you to less freedom, you are free to use other content. You are not
forced to use unfree products.

> ¿Power implies responsibility? I think you've seen Spiderman too many times
> :P

Well, that's a pretty good scene. And I think it fitted perfectly here. :)

> What you want is power indeed: you want to have the power to take away the
> freedoms that the GPL gives to the people. Present copyright laws allow
> privative licenses (those that take away people's freedoms) and also free
> (as in freedom) licenses like GPL. As I just said, breaking the GPL you take
> user's freedoms away, but breaking privative licenses you give back user's
> freedoms

But in both cases, you break an agreement. If you do not like that
agreement, why did you accept it?

Christian