[pp.int.general] Greens saying Pirate Parties unnecessary

jamie king jamie at jamie.com
Tue Sep 15 15:08:31 CEST 2009

Hiya,

Sorry I should have been more specific! I was just confirming that the
Greens _had_ already been 'championing those issues' in some way or
another, maybe just internally, which had kind of surprised me when I
found out about it. I thought they had maybe correctly surmised that
that there was a good deal of political energy to be transmuted into
electoral gold here. But all political parties work like that.

As for the question if he Greens are competent to understand and
represent the issues PPI has chosen for itself, I'm far from
convinced.  But I'm also unconvinced that the PPI is a satisfactory
representation of the energies, dislocations and disruptions of our
present social/technological environment, inasumuch as I (still) think
they point to a new polity, beyond representation.

That said, I don't think anyone behind STEAL THIS FILM was or is
particularly interested in party politics, so you may be justified to
ignore my views entirely.

Cheers,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Eric Priezkalns
<eric.priezkalns at pirateparty.org.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> Parties intend to respond.  Either the response is collective at
> international level, or it will have to be done at national level, because
> somebody has to respond.  Green candidates are going to compete with Pirate
> candidates for the same votes.  If Green Parties say there is no need for
> Pirate Parties and point to the European Parliament as evidence, the correct
> answer from a Pirate Party spokesperson or candidate cannot be to simply
> comment on what a good job the Greens would do if they were elected instead
> of the Pirate Party's candidate.

> On 15 Sep 2009, at 13:07, jamie king wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't say it's just propaganda. The uk Greens showed 'STEAL THIS
>> FILM II' at their conference last year -- so I guess even before
>> Pirate Party looked more viable, they were thinking about these
>> issues. Just saying.

>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Eric Priezkalns
>> <eric.priezkalns at pirateparty.org.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a snip from an interview with the leader of the Greens in Canada,
>>> Elizabeth May.  The full interview is
>>> here: http://www.p2pnet.net/story/28206
>>> "p2pnet: What do you think of Pirate Parties and the fact it looks as
>>> though
>>> Canada and soon join other countries in having one of its own?
>>> May: Did you notice that the Pirate Party in the EU Parliament has joined
>>> the Green Caucus?  We don’t need a pirate party in Canada. The greens are
>>> championing those issues. We shouldn’t further fracture the efforts of
>>> Canadians who want to restore real democracy, including in undemocratic
>>> copyright rules."
>>> Elizabeth May has previously said similar things in an attempt to
>>> undermine
>>> the Pirate Party of Canada.  We've got 'Green Pirates' trying to win new
>>> votes for the Green party in mainland Europe.  In the UK, similar things
>>> are
>>> starting to happen, with the Green Party attempting to undermine Pirate
>>> Party support because they see it as a threat.
>>> Who is taking the lead to counter Green Party propaganda, publicly saying
>>> there is a need for a separate Pirate Party movement?  If it is not
>>> coordinated internationally, than national parties will have no choice
>>> but
>>> to fight back individually to stop votes, members and support being lost
>>> the Green Party.
>>> Best regards,
>>> Eric
>>>
>>> Eric Priezkalns
>>> Treasurer
>>> Pirate Party UK
>>> +44 7958 467273
>>> treasurer at pirateparty.org.uk
>>> http://pirateparty.org.uk

>> --
>> location BERLIN
>>
>> CURRENTLY WORKING ON: VODO.NET, DARKFIBRE.IN, FRINGY.NET
>>
>> twitter: #dark_fibre #vodo #fringy
>> phone                   (for voice calls please consider any time