[pp.int.general] Greens saying Pirate Parties unnecessary

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Thu Sep 17 08:38:23 CEST 2009

    Is there an alternative term for the class of things which all get
    treated as property, but which lack physical substance?

The term "intellectual property" systematically leads people into
erroneous generalizations, and I think that is one of them.  The laws
described that way are very different, and only some of them fit the
description above.  Meanwhile, other things (such as bonds) do fit
that description, even though the term "intellectual property" does
not include them.

This shows why we should not replace the term "intellectual property"
with some other term.  The concept itself is confused.  "Intellectual
property" by any other name would be just as misleading.