[pp.int.general] EU block filter

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Thu Apr 1 07:04:49 CEST 2010

> On 31.03.2010 07:53, Reinier Bakels wrote:
>> One argument is to question the legitimacy and legality of filter
>> measures, and the bove arguments are excellent. Introducing limited
>> censorship brings us on the slippery slope of more censorship.
> Well it's exactly this "slippery slope" argument which I don't buy,
> because if applied with enough creativity it can be used to question each
> and every sort of law and law enforcement. After all, arrest,

Firstly, the "freedom of speech" human right (art. 10 European Convention on
Human Rights) includes the right to *receive* information. Art. 10
subsection 2 ECHR contains a lust of exceptions: they must a) be prescribed
by law b) serve one of the listed purposes c) be subject to "pressing need
in a democratic society".

Afaik there is no *advance* checking of any publication at all. Of course,
one is subject to all kinds of liability *afther the fact*, but advance
checking by authorities is NOT allowed! So introducing a just *little bit*
of censorship means that an important boundary is transgressed.

Experience meanwhile has shown that this is *not* an innocent thing.
Countries where filtering is applied show that often sites are blocked with
adult porn, no child porn. And the lists are secret, which violates basic
government transparency principles. A site owner should be able to appeal
the decision to be blacklisted in court. (Adult) porn sites may often be
disgusting, but it is a legitimate business. If enforcement measures are
believed only to work in secrecy (ACTA!), they are akin to "state
terrorism". Yes, governments pretending to fight terrorism are becoming
terrorists themselves. Remember that the (legal) defintion of terrorism is
"inducing fear at major groups of the population". Yes, all criminal law is
supposed to have some deterrent effect, but criminal measures always used to
be open, and subject to a strict legality principle.

Like with ACTA, governments may decide that democratic control is an
obstacle to effective enforcement. This is basically the logic of dictators.
Oh yes, an enlightened dictatorship is the reason whu Singapore is so
prosperous now. Politicians used to be not interested in copyright. Now that
they are becoming more interested, they must be avoided - in order to
protect shareholder value. Logical, isn't it?

Blocking sites with chemistry information may be the next thing. Because
making bombs is a matter of chemistry. If you are not allowed to bring
fluids onto airplanes, you understand that authorities are so nervous that
they are likely to adopt unreasonable measures. Anyway, such measures are
very attractive for politicians, because it gives them a pro-active image,
while the cost (for the government!) is zero.

Anyway, I repeat the argument that blocking does not *remove* child porn
from the Internet, and that smart pedophiles have all kinds of
circumventions. Like sending CDROMS by snail mail. Or using the telephone
network (dial-up, how old-fashioned!)

Because of these reasons, I sincerey doubt whether mrs. Malmström was
honest. I guesss it is a political "law and order" move which has nothing to
do with a true concern with children. And I would not be surprise if shady
"sponsors" are involved. Like router manufactureres who want to expand their
filtering product market beyond China ... BUT MOST LIKELY, IT IS THE
COPYRIGHT MAFIA THAT STRIKES AGAIN. As soon as pervasive filtering is in
place, blocking "illegal" download sites seems a "logical" next step.
Old-fashioned copyright in the modern world of broadband internet can only
be enforced by violating basic human rights, if the shareholder value of
record companies is the ultimate goal.

reinier

And I repeat: