[pp.int.general] EU block filter

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Thu Apr 1 07:16:08 CEST 2010

> I completely agree with you. However, the the statement to which I have
> been answering went like "no form of censorship must be allowed because
> it's a slippery slope" - and I replied exactly that the problem lies less
> with the idea of censorship itself but with intransparent,
> behind-closed-doors implementation of said censorship which we see in the
> case of block filtering:)

I am afraid you are wrong. In civilised socities, there is an *absolute* ban
on censorship (= checking publications *in advance*). Recently a renowned
law professor wrote: "filtering is censorship, basta!" (sorry, the article
is in Dutch,
http://www.ivir.nl/publicaties/dommering/Filteren_is_gewoon_censuur_en_daarmee_basta.pdf).
The step from nothing to a little bit is essential, afterwards the step from
a little bit to more is easier.

I agree that the lack of transparency is a serious proble TOO, but imho the
essence is the PRINCIPLE.

How about the defence when a child porn provider is prosecuted: "I thought
it was legal because you did not block my site"?

reinier