[pp.int.general] Election Results

Jerry Weyer jerry.weyer at pp-international.net
Mon Apr 19 09:26:11 CEST 2010

Hello,

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Rodrigo Pereira <rodripe at gmail.com> wrote:

> "STV, unlike Closed List PR, can at times produce pressures for political
> parties to fragment internally because members of the same party are
> effectively competing against each other, as well as against the opposition,
> for votes. This could serve to promote ‘clientelistic’ politics where
> politicians offer electoral bribes to groups of defined voters."<http://aceproject.org/ace-en/topics/es/esd/esd02/esd02d/esd02d01>
>

> Who decided the voting method?

The voting mode was proposed by one delegate and voted on by the others who
accepted it.

> Where this method is indicated in the statutes?

The voting mode is not in the statutes. It's the rules of procedure that
determined the standard voting mode, and a motion by a delegate to change
the rules of procedure and use STV was accepted.

Greetings,

Jerry

> []'s
>
> rodrix
>

> 2010/4/18 W Tovey <will.tovey at pp-international.net>
>
> As mentioned already, the vote was carried out by Single Transferable Vote
>> as described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>> The counting was all done "automatically" using OpenSTV which can be found
>> here: http://www.openstv.org/
>> This process was agreed upon by the delegates.
>>
>> For the record I should probably confess that the original post in this
>> thread wasn't made by me - one of the side effects of the "sea of laptops"
>> that were lying around at the conference (it was posted by the returning
>> officers who dealt with all of this stuff). Personally, I'm not really sure
>> how the voting worked, but I'm a mathematician and knowing that an
>> explanation exists (i.e. on Wiki) and that I could find out exactly how it
>> works (from the other site linked) is enough for me.
>>
>> [Also, if people want to contact me personally, in the future please use
>> my PPUK address, not the PPI one. If you want to contact the "person who
>> tries to know what's going on with PPI stuff", you'll need to try someone
>> else.]
>>
>> -Will

>>> Is the voting process somewhere explained?

> Weyer Jerry
PPI Co-Chairman