[pp.int.general] Election Results

Majong majong at pirateparty.be
Tue Apr 20 00:02:07 CEST 2010

Hi Marco,

"Une constante : plus on défend les libertés numériques, moins de femmes
sont acceptées, logiciel libre, open source, Partis Pirates..."

I think that Perline questions the place of women and more precisely the
acceptance of women in the numeric world in general including pirate
parties.

Personnaly, I don't feel like being discriminated or being surrounded by
chauvinist male pirates but I might be lucky with the Belgian pirates ;-)
Also having participated in PPI conference, I never felt like being excluded
nor discriminated. On the contrary, all "male" pirates were open for
discussion and accepted "female" presence.

Before one can talk about male chauvinism ad discrimination, it's maybe
worth considering why so few women are attracted by the pirate movement?
Is it a bad approach, wrong marketing or simply lack of interest?

On the other hand, who best than ourselves, i.e. women, can convince other
women to be part of the pirate movement and in extension be part of next PPI
elections. Maybe instead of jumping for hasty conclusions, we should work on
a better female representation in all levels and step forward when it comes
to elections, etc.

So instead of addressing the discrimination issue, we should think how to
encourage women to be more active and participate in the pirate movement.

Just my two cents.

Monika aka Majong
PPBe