[pp.int.general] The conference - what went wrong; how can we do better?

Kenneth Peiruza kenneth at contralaguerra.org
Wed Apr 21 20:58:30 CEST 2010

    As far as I know, the cash was for paying travel expenditures, and
it was a nice hack to get the european parliament paying for EU citizens
to visit it, right?

    Then, stop begging about that point, that is a good thing, not any
kind of discrimination by PPI to non-european people but a way to get as
much people's plane tickets for free. So, say thanks, even if your
ticket wasn't paid.

    That said, I do also agree on doing the next conference outside of
Europe, but as it's crystal clear it will require even more remote
delegates, IMHO the hosting country needs to accomplish, at least, these
points:

    - No stupid border process: USA is not the place,  the delegates can
get their laptops kidnapped FOREVER, and many of us will get silly 4
hour airport scrutiny and so on, only because we are tied to social
movements :S

    - Decent Internet Connectivity with the rest of the planet: Latin
America doesn't look like the place, despite I would love to go to
Brazil :P In that cases, using VOIP with more than 300 ms ping is simply
impossible.

    - Affordable plane tickets for as much people as possible. Traveling
to Oceania is too expensive for most people over the world.

So, what do we still have? Canada and, maybe Mexico.

I vote for Canada :D Looks like a nice, decent and safe place to go.

Regards,

Kenneth

En/na Rodrigo Pereira ha escrit:

> 2010/4/21 Nicolas Sahlqvist <nicco77 at gmail.com <mailto:nicco77 at gmail.com>>
>
>     I tend to think that the form of PPI will not make it more or less
international, it is rather the way we push for PPI to become more
international and that is a challenge considering most PP's are located
within Europe. Any ideas how we make PP's more popular in Latin America,
Asia, Africa and Caribbean?

> I have a suggestion. Give EUR 500 not only for Europeans but for the
delegates from outside Europe too and you will have enough "interest" of
the delegates from other countries to attend a "international" conference.