[pp.int.general] The conference - what went wrong; how can we do better?

Nicolas Sahlqvist nicco77 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 15:36:18 CEST 2010

Last time I spoke to FSFE I got the impression that they can not give
political endorsement to any political party since they want to be able
to criticize any party that promotes non-free software.

It may therefore be hard to convince them to become a member of PPI even if
PPI would officially support free software since Pirate parties would need
to address the issue in there principals to make it solid and there may be
reasons why PP's may not be able to do so. PPI could loose members by having
strong political opinions that are not supported by the Pirate parties so
damaging to the creditability of PPI.

I also think the other organisations you mention would like us to stronger
address there core issues and it would be hard to please them all. Besides
this, PPI would not only represent the PP's if we allow organisations that
are not Pirate parties to join so I doubt there membership would be approved
and the membership paragraph in the statutes would have to be adjusted so I
even doubt such a amendment would be approved.

I do however think PPI could work with those organisations on common issues,
rather then those organisations having to deal with each pirate party.

I am interested how you look at this so please drop your opinions!

- Nicolas
  PPI