[pp.int.general] The conference - what went wrong; how can we do better?

W Tovey will.tovey at pp-international.net
Thu Apr 22 16:43:34 CEST 2010

Erm... why shouldn't the UK be considered a country? It is one. I know
that in terms of political parties we technically need a separate
"entity" for standing in Northern Ireland but I expect that when that is
established it will be closely related to the current PPUK. I see no
reason why the UK should be considered differently to any other country
when it comes to voting etc..

The US is a slightly different issue, and one that the PPI assembly will
have to deal with once they have a significant number of State parties.
It may also how effective their national executive becomes and how
representative of the state parties it is.

-Will

On 22/04/2010 15:36, Nicolas Sahlqvist wrote:
> Ok, we can't change that US and UK are considered countries and play by the
> same rules as all the other parties in there countries. Giving every
state a
> voice could potentially cause them to not work together and thereby damage
> there chances in a national election why I do not support this approach. I
> rather think a country body is practical to confirm with national elections
> etc. and bureaucracy can be minimized, feel free to discuss it with PPUK as
> they are in this situation.
>
> The vote was in favor of no member fees so not sure why you discuss it. I
> however hope that some members will be able to contribute or PPI will
not be
> able to function and that would be truly sad.
>

> - Nicolas
>   PPI
>

> 2010/4/21 Błażej Kaczorowski <blazej.kaczorowski at gmail.com>
>
>> I will try constructively disagree :)
>>
>> 1. Europe has majority in members and 100% in PPI board for now
>> 2. European Parties will have majority for long time (especially here
>> we have a lot of small countries and USA with their states has only 1
>> vote)
>> 3. Balance of power in PPI General Assembly will always be problematic
>> - if we decide voting power:
>> - one vote for 1 country - USA will be in trouble, (what with UK?),
>> youth pirates also, pirate communities, foundations and so so on - ok
>> you can build country body and that join - bureaucracy is enemy of
>> democracy.
>> - per member - begging parties will be sad
>> - per citizen - small countries will be sad
>> - per income/donation size - pour countries will be sad
>> - per % of election result - unsuccessful countries will be sad
>> - and so on
>> 4. Of course no one will say that his party is sad ... but (for me) it
>> doesn't matter because they will be.
>>
>> My prepositions are nearly unchanged - check Saturday
>> pp.genera.maillist for my mail with other countries signatures) - I
>> have other ideas and I am ready for discussion.
>>
>> Blazej
>> PP Poland
>>
>> 2010/4/21 Nicolas Sahlqvist <nicco77 at gmail.com>:
>>> I tend to think that the form of PPI will not make it more or less
>>> international, it is rather the way we push for PPI to become more
>>> international and that is a challenge considering most PP's are located
>>> within Europe. Any ideas how we make PP's more popular in Latin America,
>>> Asia, Africa and Caribbean?
>>>

>>> - Nicolas
>>>   PPI

>> that

> The current times were pretty exclusionary as well. at GMT+10, you
> >> were
> looking at starting around 6pm(9am) and ending at what, 3am (7pm)?
> >> not
> THAT bad, but not that great either.

> hardly I
> >> the
> [...]
Pirate Parties International - General Talk
pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net