[pp.int.general] The conference - what went wrong, and why we NEED to do better!

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 00:20:16 CEST 2010

On 4/22/2010 5:24 PM, Alex wrote:
> ok no need to get into details., let's discuss all that when we have 7
> strong european parties. so far it doesnt look too promissing. PP-DE
> is growing slowly, SE is losing members, FI is showing some potential.
> and that's pretty much it.

I think the swedish losses are overstated. It's only to be expected
given their membership model. Instead of looking at the negative
numbers, look at the positive - how many, of their own will, have renewed?

As for other parties, the Dutch party has a chance (0.67% is all they
need for a national seat, I believe) and the UK party, while a seat is
unlikely, has strong potential to grow some more in these last two weeks
before the election.

That reminds me, I'm not speaking officially for anyone but myself,
however, one thing PPI should be doing is supporting parties during
elections. The UK party is 2 weeks away from an elcetion. The Dutch
party is a day under 7 weeks away from theirs. Sweden has an election in
September, and I believe there's another one that I can't remembre
offhand. The success of these parties, directly affects our own parties.
The better the election results, the more credible we are as a political
position.

Additionally, I'm sure we're all shorter on experience (direct, hands on
experience) than we'd like. So, why not get some. If you have free time,
ask a party with a looming election if they need help. Mostly they'll
need creative people, working on flyers, videos etc (because it's not
feasible for someone in Spain, Sweden or Serbia to be helping trudge the
streets of Bury handshaking and doorknocking). Maybe share, adapt and
remix material you already have, and save some time, or free someone
else up to do another job.

THIS sort of thing, helping parties start and then helping them to work
at their best, is what I envisaged as the whole reason for PPI. Not to
set rules and policies or control who says and does what. We've been
talking about who votes, and at the same time we say the PPI has no
power to compel, so whats the votes for? As far as conferences go, we've
had 5 over 3 years and almost everything agreed on at them has yet to
happen. So let's take them back to their original purpose, as a social
event, where we can put faces to (screen)names, and we can talk and
learn from each other and from outside, invited speakers. Even the
simple suggestion I made almost 18 months ago, that parties send PPI a
copy of their press releases (or at last their important ones, including
to the list) has gone mostly ignored in favour of vastly increasing
bureaucracy.

PPI isn't the UN and it's not the EP. Right now, we have a load of
statutes, but it's all legal mumblings, it gives structure to an
organisation that has no teeth, no ability for anything it decides to
actually be carried out. The only purpose it has ever actually worked,
has been as a central contact for new parties, and that can be better
handled by a regional council, say a member per continent, and a
president of same (giving 6 members and a tiebreaker voting president,
since Antarctica won't have a party)

In short, the job of PPI is, and always has been, supporting the
formation of new parties, and supporting existing ones as and when
needed, through increasing and facilitating communication. We're
straying from that. I just had a quick look back through some of the
coreteam meetings, and the vast majority of the topics over the last few
months, have been about the conference, the statutes, and the bank
account. I doubt there's been more than half a dozen issues over the
last 4 months not related to the conference/establishment of PPI. Were
Douglas Adams still alive, this could be the basis for "Bureaucracy 2"
(Bureaucracy was a game he co-wrote in 87 about the difficulties with
changing your address at a bank). Hmm, I guess not so short after all.

Perhaps a metaphor would be best. To build a house, you need builders,
they're essential for the house to be constructed. It requires plans,
and organisation to build it, and hard work from the builders. We're at
a situation now, though, where the builders are in a permanent state of
work, even though the house is built, and they're not needed. Once it's
biult, it needs a minimum of maintaince, the scaffolding can come down
and be removed, and it needs only minor work done occasionally. We don't
need the rules, we don't really need 'the board' as there is now nothing
for them to do, since the original purpose was abandoned at some point,
for the purpose of justifying its own existence. What does it do now,
and more importantly, how do we get back on track?

Andrew