[pp.int.general] Support for Julian Assange and Wikileaks

Nicolas Sahlqvist nicco77 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 10:39:16 CET 2010

After reading the referred article, my first comment is that Sweden has one
of the strongest sex crime laws in the world and the alleged crime
was committed on Swedish soil so it is quite irrelevant if the crime is
illegal or not in UK.

He is accused of breaking the condom prior to or while having sex, this
makes it sexual assault / rape according to Swedish law and the police had a
initial hearing with Assange that leaked to the press:

http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/1.2118961/har-ar-forhoret-med-assange-ord-for-ord

In most other countries stronger circumstances such as clear signs of a rape
etc. is needed before this is seen as a crime and it is still hard to prove
this in a court of law in Sweden without physical evidence such as DNA etc,
in particular when the suspect has a good lawyer. His lawyers have recently
failed to appealed the arrest order and the prosecutor is about to send out
a new arrest order since the previous one was not properly certified:

http://www.thelocal.se/30574/20101202/

I tend to think the prosecutor is very bad at communicating with the press
that this case requires and working with new technology to do a video
hearing, collect DNA evidence etc. via a 3rd party etc. and there may be
legal issues with this approach. Mr Assange is very good at communicating
with the press and he is cautious in his contacts with
government organisations considering he is not really popular with them
after publishing a historically huge amount of leaked material.

The situation is complex and my initial thought to write a open letter to
the prosecutor questioning there methods and lack of alternative ways of
handling this case may actually make it look like the PP movement believe in
his innocent and that's not the message we want to announce.

- Nicolas