[pp.int.general] SHOCKING NEWS: Accused WikiLeaks ally is being tortured!

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 06:21:03 CET 2010

On 12/16/2010 11:52 PM, Jay Emerson wrote:
>     Again, I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone once they get back from
>     protesting outside a Marine base. Although it's also unusual that he's
>     being held at a Marine brig, rather than an Army RCF. Also, if I've done
>     my research right, Quantico is a short term (3 month max typically)
>     facility, rather than a long term one. You do have to wonder, though,
>     why he has effectively gone 'forgotten' for so long. Sooner they process
>     him, the sooner he can (in their eyes) go from the relatively weak brig,
>     to the Castle.
>

> Quantico? A 3 month facility?:
>
> http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/supporters-bradley-manning-detention-torture/
>
> Somebody needs to tell them because the only reports I hear of him STILL
> being held there to this day, and it's been more than 3 months.

Kind of my point actually.

as far as I know it's not designed for long term prisoner housing, which
is why it's so unusual.
If you want phone numbers, they're here
http://www.quantico.usmc.mil/activities/display.aspx?PID=588&Section=SecBn
so you can ask yourself.

Generally, quantico is used for pre-trial confinement, and under the
UCMJ, manning has the right to a speedy trial. some sources say it's a
short-term-only facility, others don't, but he would be at Castle or a
regional army detention center if convicted, not quantico (that's why
they have them). I'm wondering why he's not made a fuss over his RCM707,
or if he has, what the outcome as been.

> Just sayin...
>
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Andrew Norton <ktetch at gmail.com
> <mailto:ktetch at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On 12/16/2010 7:29 PM, Yves Quemener wrote:
>> On 12/17/2010 01:14 AM, Nicolas Sahlqvist wrote:
>>> It is hard to foresee future events, but to stand by when you
> know someone
>>> is suffering is not a option in my mind.
>
>> Sorry, I prefer the one who didn't move to get him in a less
> medieval jail
>> than the one who acted to make him go quickly in front of a firing
> squad
>> (or whatever method of execution is favored these days)
>
> Execution is extremely unlikely. I only had a quick 10 min look, (and
> I'm Sure a certain someone will tell me I'm wrong, because I'm not a
> lawyer, as he has for the past month, but i digress) but after a quick
> look at the UCMJ, death penalty cases I think have to be brought to
> court within 120 days. Also, pleading guilty removes the ability to get
> the death penalty. I found this quick little refrence thing (albeit a
> year old) that might help as well.
> http://www.court-martial.com/military_death_penalty.htm
>
> I'd suggest those wanting to get busy on it, start looking into Section
> 10 of the UCMJ.
> http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/ucmj.htm#810. ART. 10. RESTRAINT OF
> PERSONS CHARGED WITH OFFENSES   <-- thats ALL a link
>
> and RCM 707 (rules for a court martial)
> http://www.armfor.uscourts.gov/digest/VB2.htm
>
> and maybe make enquries to the Army Judge Advocate General's (JAG)
> office, on that topic. https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/
>
> Again, I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone once they get back from
> protesting outside a Marine base. Although it's also unusual that he's
> being held at a Marine brig, rather than an Army RCF. Also, if I've done
> my research right, Quantico is a short term (3 month max typically)
> facility, rather than a long term one. You do have to wonder, though,
> why he has effectively gone 'forgotten' for so long. Sooner they process
> him, the sooner he can (in their eyes) go from the relatively weak brig,
> to the Castle.

Pirate Parties International - General Talk
pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net
<mailto:pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net>