[pp.int.general] PPI's Consultation process and principles

Patrick Mächler patrick.maechler at pp-international.net
Fri Feb 19 12:45:58 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Jorge <jorge at pirataria.org> wrote:
> 1) Thinking about the PPs troubles that we had recently in the list, I
> suggest a colaborative elaboration of some PRINCIPLES to Pirate Parties. I
> mean the basic commitments that we have to take.
>
> We don't need a complicated process to write it. I think we know more or
> less the basic. I start a draft
> http://int.piratenpartei.de/Building_the_principles_of_PPI

Of course I'd be in favor of it.
I just want to warn you that it might be likely become complicated again.
Similar approaches have failed before (which ofc does not imply that
this one has to fail as well).

> 2) Concerning the PPI new name "Pirate Parties International", I noticed
> that the most of pirates continues to refer to PPI as Pirate Party
> International. We did not have enough discussion about this change. The most
> activists of pirate activists reffer to PPI as "Pirate Party International"
> because sounds much better and they recognize that we are part of
> international movement with the same aims, no matter national or regional
> differences.

The decision was also based on the fact that Rick Falkvinge intended
this name originally. Just take a look at the name of this list.
We needed a name to refer to PPI; as we saw that the "Party" name
stirred irritation amongst some parties, we decided to use "Pirate
Parties International" instead. You are free to discuss this issue at
the conference; we won't change the name before the conference for
sure though.

> I understand that the former name suggest a great of responsabilities that
> the coreteam are not ready to take. But it could change after the PPI
> Conference.

PPI can't enforce any principles, nor is it in any way interested in
taking part in elections.
If it would, you could be sure not a lot of parties would join it.

> Finally, I noticed that there are links in the PPI'site to pirate parties
> that do not exist yet, like China or South Africa; or fake site, like Peru
> (with a offensive message against us). Who are that guys? We have to cheke
> better before to include a new PP in our network.

There were people from China and South Africa in the PPI boards asking
for startup help; I provided them a sub-board to discuss and linked it
afterwards. In my view it's of utter most importance for PPI to
centralize efforts in any country in order to avoid situations with
several disputing groups afterwards. See also
http://int.piratenpartei.de/Best_practices_for_creating_a_party
About Peru: Take a look at the wiki history; this wiki page has been
defaced. I'll try to roll it back and get in contact with those
providing the wiki.