[pp.int.general] PPI's Consultation process and principles

Sven Clement sven.clement at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 16:00:31 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Jorge <jorge at pirataria.org> wrote:

>  Hello people,
>
> I have two questions for the pirate parties leaders and activists.
>
> 1) Thinking about the PPs troubles that we had recently in the list, I
> suggest a colaborative elaboration of some PRINCIPLES to Pirate Parties. I
> mean the basic commitments that we have to take.
>
> We don't need a complicated process to write it. I think we know more or
> less the basic. I start a draft
> http://int.piratenpartei.de/Building_the_principles_of_PPI

I agree with Gregory and would redirect this issue to the statutes TF

> 2) Concerning the PPI new name "Pirate Parties International", I noticed
> that the most of pirates continues to refer to PPI as Pirate Party
> International. We did not have enough discussion about this change. The most
> activists of pirate activists reffer to PPI as "Pirate Party International"
> because sounds much better and they recognize that we are part of
> international movement with the same aims, no matter national or regional
> differences.

Personally I think that _party_ implies that the PPI would have some sort of
power over its member organizations, which will be difficult to formulate
and to enforce, even as some activists refer to the PPI as the
_international party_ shows that there can be a misunderstanding in meaning.
I would prefer to leave the name to Pirate Parties International as to show
that its only an umbrella organization for the grouped national parties and
not a party in its own right.

> I understand that the former name suggest a great of responsabilities that
> the coreteam are not ready to take. But it could change after the PPI
> Conference.

I don't think that it is only a matter of responsibilities that the coreteam
has to take but also a question of public relations and stating clearly that
the PPI is NOT a party in its own right. I think that is the most important
point, so I requote Patrick:

PPI can't enforce any principles, nor is it in any way interested in
> taking part in elections.

> I suggest to open a *public consultation* before decision. To do this
> easely we can use tools like reddit <http://www.reddit.com>.

I don't think that we can hold public consultations before the PPI is
formally founded and then we would still need to delegate this task to the
national parties because I don't think we want to communicate all our
members to the PPI. Not only because of data protection but also because who
would guarantee the exactness of the data?

> Finally, I noticed that there are links in the PPI'site to pirate parties
> that do not exist yet, like China or South Africa; or fake site, like Peru
> (with a offensive message against us). Who are that guys? We have to cheke
> better before to include a new PP in our network.

The PPI is trying to help jumpstart new parties and I think that the
coreteam has a lot of work to be done before the conference so I would
suggest that if somebody sees such a problem would communicate directly with
the coreteam on this issue as to have it resolved asap. I agree with Patrick
on his explanations so I won't add any more to this point.

Sincerely,
Sven Clement
Pirate Party Luxembourg
www.pirateparty.lu