[pp.int.general] PPI's Consultation process and principles

Glenn Kerbein glenn.kerbein at pirate-party.us
Fri Feb 19 21:58:33 CET 2010

Everyone,
	I feel that the principles of PPI are broad and restrictive - something
that resonates internationally abet to the core of freedom. The writings
of these principles leaves something to be desired: inelegant and
oversimplified; each point needs elaboration. It also sets forth
standards that would regulate each party in an unfeasible manner.
	Second, changing the legal name is a contentious issue. Doing so seems
much more difficult than it needs to be. However, I know that (at least
here in the US) there are forms that can be filed allowing a business to
be colloquially referred to something else ("d/b/a", or "Doing Business
As"). Verizon is actually a New Jersey company legally referred to as
Cellco Partnership, for example. The principle should remain the same
here; Pirate Party International can be a d/b/a of Pirate Parties
International or even PPI. [On another note, let's please avoid a giant
discussion on corporate law]
	Just worth a thought.

On 02/19/2010 03:07 AM, Jorge wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I have two questions for the pirate parties leaders and activists.
>
> 1) Thinking about the PPs troubles that we had recently in the list, I
> suggest a colaborative elaboration of some PRINCIPLES to Pirate Parties.
> I mean the basic commitments that we have to take.
>
> We don't need a complicated process to write it. I think we know more or
> less the basic. I start a draft
> http://int.piratenpartei.de/Building_the_principles_of_PPI
>
> 2) Concerning the PPI new name "Pirate Parties International", I noticed
> that the most of pirates continues to refer to PPI as Pirate Party
> International. We did not have enough discussion about this change. The
> most activists of pirate activists reffer to PPI as "Pirate Party
> International" because sounds much better and they recognize that we are
> part of international movement with the same aims, no matter national or
> regional differences.
>
> I understand that the former name suggest a great of responsabilities
> that the coreteam are not ready to take. But it could change after the
> PPI Conference.
>
> I suggest to open a *public consultation* before decision. To do this
> easely we can use tools like reddit <http://www.reddit.com>.
>
> Finally, I noticed that there are links in the PPI'site to pirate
> parties that do not exist yet, like China or South Africa; or fake site,
> like Peru (with a offensive message against us). Who are that guys? We
> have to cheke better before to include a new PP in our network.
>
> best regards,
>
> Jorge
> Partido Pirata - Brasil
> www.partidopirata.org