[pp.int.general] About PP Russia

Scott Elcomb psema4 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 16:24:17 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Fedor Khod'kov <fedor76 at istra.ru> wrote:
> Authors read, listen to music and use software.  They're definitely part
> of the public and entitled to all the rights that all readers, listeners
> and users entitled to.  On the other hand, copyright is special
> privilege which authors have and general public doesn't have; it is not
> public right.

WIPO lists the Russian Federation[1] as a member of the Berne
Convention[2].  I admit that I know very little about the Russian
legal system but still, unless I have grossly misunderstood that
convention, copyright (as a special privilege) should be available to
any member of the general public that wishes to exercise such rights -
simply by applying a copyright symbol, year and name to a work.

[1] http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/Remarks.jsp?cnty_id=1017C
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works

--
  Scott Elcomb