[pp.int.general] International public relations initial drafting process,

Glenn Kerbein glenn.kerbein at pirate-party.us
Sat Feb 27 08:08:32 CET 2010

Hi Gregory.

On 02/26/2010 02:25 PM, Gregory Engels wrote:
> Hello Glenn
>
> On 26.02.2010, at 21:54, Glenn Kerbein wrote:
>

>>     Some context is required. http://vimeo.com/6647132 In this video,
>> Amelia is interviewed a gentleman.
>
> Those videos you are referring to were not produced by the
> respective pirate parties but by Andrew Keen, who is an
> british-american autor and blogger:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Keen

I'm not contesting that. The producer is irrelevant - the content is.

> So they had no or very limited control over the setting of the filming.
> If distracting background noises and movement can be seen,
> it is the fault of Mr. Keen

Hence why I was not placing blame on Amelia, only on Keen.

>> Perhaps a good formula to use: if you lack confidence in
>> providing a cogent argument with a foreign language (I am assuming that
>> Amelia's primary language is Swedish), then request that the interviewer
>> try to accommodate to your native tongue.
>
> This is an idea that is clearly from an mind of an english speaking native
> (but i must admit,  the french share similar views) - but it is quite
> unthinkable for most europeans. People would laugh at the lack
> of english confidence, as happened recently to the new german
> vice chancelor Guido Westerwelle as he refused to answer an interview
> question in english.
> .
So simply asking, "I don't understand your language, can you accommodate
to Swedish?"
>>     Another point to bring up: dress. I'm not saying that everyone should
>> don an Armani suit, be clean shaven, or have a tophat. But if you wear a
>> t-shirt e.g. this: http://vimeo.com/6648645 . It only reinforces the
>> "Pirate Bay Party" mentality - which is not the best image to bolster.
>
> This is again a view that is not shared here in europe, i dare say. The
> two dutch gentlemen are dressed quite adrette and the worst you
> actually do is to be "dressed up" and uncomfortable. this would be
> inauthentic and everyone could sense it.

Hence why I mentioned that same issue. It's one thing to be overdressed
and another to be inappropriately dressed.

>>     Some notes from the US side of things:
>>     No, I will not allow solicitation or endorsement of illicit wholesale
>> filesharing. We will not act as the US branch of the Pirate Bay. Nor
>> will I lobby on their behalf, nor on the behalf of current or previous
>> operators of the site.
>
> I don't think, that any Pirate Party would refer themselves as the "branch
> of Pirate Bay". Those who say so are usually critics of the Pirate Party
> movement.

But it has been said so by other critics. It's an idea pervasive
throughout the journalistic world. Hence why I had abdicated.
>> --
>> Glenn "Channel6" Kerbein
>> United States Pirate Party
>
> On a personal note - can I invite you to join the PPI Statutes Task Force
> that is in the process of preparing the statutes and structure proposals
> for the international conference in Brussels that is about to happen on
> april 14th to 16th ?
> here is the link:
>
> http://www.mypirates.net/ppi_development
I'll see what I can do. I will unlikely be able to attend the Brussels
meetup.

> Gregory Engels
> International Coordinator
> Pirate Party of Germany