[pp.int.general] Pirate Party of Europe Task Force

Steffen Ortmann steffen.ortmann at piraten-thueringen.de
Sun Jun 6 18:35:30 CEST 2010

Hi,

2010/6/5 Peter Reineke <preineke at gmx.com>:
> Hi
>
> I noticed the plans for an European PP Task force.
>>
>> This task force has the aim of preparing the foundation of the
>> European Pirate Party. This includes the legal side - like compiling /
>> updating the requirement list for european party eligibility, and the
>> creation and coordination of a roadmap to fulfill those criteria,
>> including coordinating a plan for participating in European Parliament
>> elections accross the European Pirate Parties.
>
> I question whether it is worth it building a beaurocratic framework for
> European piracy. What is the goal of this?

How many more goals apart from the ones stated above do you need?

> It is unlikely that any party other than the Swedish will have MEPs in
> the EP until 2014.

I am quite sure PP-DE will send a few MEPs in 2014.

> Further policy making is still to be done by the
> national parties, so I fail to see any immediate need for an European
> Pirate Party.

Most laws in Europe made at the moment are based on EU legislation
so this is where we need to kick in - at the source.

> I think that very few pirates in the different parties are experts for
> European politics. But we need experts, so anyone interested in EU
> politics should use his time on becoming an expert instead of creating
> another governing body.

To get PPI to where it is at the moment took about 3.5 years. If PP-EU
develops at the same speed it will be ready right in time for EP elections
in 2014.
PP-EU does not need to be a "governing body" but it can be a framework
for PIRATE influence on European politics. Better to think about it now
and to have it available than to suddenly realize that we missed out on
an important opportunity.

> Cheers,
> Peter

regards