[pp.int.general] question about organisation of national pirate parties

Philip Hunt cabalamat at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 9 22:31:07 CET 2010

On 9 March 2010 19:45, Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl> wrote:
> I'd like to know how national parties are organised. I assume that in most
> countries only registered associations can register as political parties,
> like in the Netherlands? In particular I am interested in the *internal*
> democracy of national PP's. Do you adopt a one-man-one-vote system, or a
> tiered system?

In PPUK, the national executive committee is elected by the entire
membership. The manifesto is also decided by a vote of the entire
membership.

> Some people argue that a tiered system is indispensable for defense against
> "troll" attacks (e.g. a major GEMA delegation in Germany becoming PPDE
> member - so that there is a pro-copyright majority), but - at least under
> (even "default") Dutch association law, the board decides who can be a
> member - and will not accept memebrship applications from trolls.

I suppose something like that is possible in theory, but it hasn't
happened in practise. If a large number of disruptive people joined,
they could be expelled.

> I believe that direct democracy is indispensable for a political
> organisation. Do you?

It's appropriate for major decisions. It would be unworkable if every
detailed decision was put to a vote of the membership.

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at googlemail.com>
Campaigns Officer, Pirate Party UK