[pp.int.general] PPi ask Anonymous to stop Payback

Marcus Kesler marcus at d-usa.info
Mon Nov 22 16:00:24 CET 2010

Howdy, I am sorry if part of my response is due to a loss in
translation. I realize that we are having this discussion in English
and that many of the participants are form multiple countries.

If you want to compare the DoS with real world examples, then I think
we need to make some distinctions clear:

DoS vs. Strike: A DoS is not the same as a strike. A strike is
initiated by the employees that are refusing to work to lobby for a
change. It is an action between employees and employer, not anything
close to Anon vs. RIAA et al.

DoS v. Street protest: In my opinion, a DoS is also very different
from a street protest. The real world equivalent would not be marching
on the street, it would be sitting inside the doorway of the business
and physically preventing customers who want to enter the store from
doing so. You are not on public property anymore, you are actually
entering the building. The requests have to reach the physical servers
hosting the information, they do not only affect the connection (ie:
street). Even in jurisdictions where protest are legal, even if a
permit is required, you can still be charged with interfering with a
business. And even if you protests are legal, if you enter a business
to prevent customers from entering you can still be charged with
breaking the law due to trespassing.

On the issue of "civil disobedience":

The United States Pirate Party, as well as the Pirate Party of
Oklahoma, simply cannot condone any unlawful actions, even if we think
that the laws are completely and utterly wrong. For the Pirate Party
(in the US) to even appear to endorse these actions would mean the end
of the Pirate Party (in the US). There is a reason why the Green Party
in the US is not calling for a great "Smoke In", because it would mean
the end of the Green Party. We can have a month long philosophical
discussion about "is Anon right or not", but if it is illegal then the
Pirate Party (in the United States) cannot condone these actions.

For me as the administrator of the Pirate Party of Oklahoma I fully
support the letter asking Anon to stop, if for no other reason as to
make it very clear that the PPOK will make sure that our activities
are fully within the scope of the law.

For me it is not an action against Anon, it is an action to protect
the Pirate Party in Oklahoma.

Marcus Kesler
Administrator
Pirate Party of Oklahoma