[pp.int.general] Defend TPB

Erik Lönroth erik.lonroth at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 23:27:38 CEST 2010

There will be a significant symbolic loss - should TPB lose in the
next, third, and final, instance of court in Sweden. (The High Court,
or, Högsta Domstolen)

Such a symbolic loss, could possibly be a fatal blow to the "Pirate
movement" in Sweden. People will start think in terms of "if the
highest court think it is wrong to share, then it must be wrong."

Even if TPB as such is not such a relevant project any more, it still
is a symbol over people acctually standing up against the
"copy-right-maffia". Even if that never was the purpose, it still
became a fact.

This spectacle rasies a number of important questions that might be to
late to think about once the trials are over:

* Is the Pirate movement lacking the means to take on this incredibly
strong opponent (such as IFIP etc.) ? If so, what are we missing in
that case?

* In Sweden, the Pirate party didn't do good at all in the elections
and some people even regard the movement as "dead". Is that because
our questions are not important enough, or why don't we gain a
stronger position even though we multiplied our efforts tenfold this
election ?

* What can the Pirate movement around the world do to regain its
positions as a global movement? With all due respect, but PPI is a
very, very small group of people doing really, really little impact on
peoples every day life. What can we do to change that?

/Erik