[pp.int.general] File Sharing in Space

kenneth at contralaguerra.org kenneth at contralaguerra.org
Tue Oct 19 17:21:58 CEST 2010

Rates for satellites are crazy expensive, mostly the upload bandwith.

A friend of mine rents satellite channels in Europe and Africa, however,
last time I asked (last year), it was something around 2000 USD / month for
1 symmetric mb +1800 USD in hardware for each point.

Anyway, satellites
belong to countries, so, these country's law apply to them.

If I were
you, I would forget about this thread. It looks pointless after checking
the costs. Why don't you simply do the filesharing in a country where it is
not illegal?

If the problem is "exiting" your country, just connect with
VPN to a place where you can do so.

As a first example: Spain.

Ask the
people at Guifi.net, a free-citizen network here in Catalonia. They just
got a Peering agreement in Barcelona, so, they have a rack space and
bandwith. They were renting 1U space for 80 Eur/mo, and, this way, you also
help people from the social movements.

Regards,

Kenneth

On Tue, 19
Oct 2010 13:45:44 +0000, Rodrigo dA  wrote:  This is an interesting project
and is worth pursuing. I don't remember
who started the thread but we
should open another list for this so we
don't spam those who are not