[pp.int.general] Is PPI dead, or was it ever really born?

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 18:43:29 CEST 2010

On 9/27/2010 11:44 AM, Gregory Engels wrote:
> Well,  I'll try to calm things down and try to answer to this tread
> by copying some quotes together.
>
> First - I really would like that the tone in this discussion would
> be maintained as friendly and constructive and free from bad
> language.
>
> This is an international mailinglist, where people from many
> countries are coming together, for many of whom english is
> not being the first language (this would include myself) - also
> people have diverse cultural backgrounds. In this light using
> the words in an public conversation like "f*cked" or
> "clusterf*ck" is entirely unacceptable.

It's just language, and words like these are considered profanity just
as a matter of personal objection, rather than on any empirical basis.

> On 27.09.2010, at 00:29, Andrew Norton wrote:
>

>> We also recently got a call from their new 'PPI International
>> coordinator'.
>
> Silke is not "our" PPI International coordinator. She is rather
> appointed coordinator for the Pirate Party of Germany.
>
>>  Silke was told there were 3 Pirate Parties
>> in the US. There is only one.
>
> It is good news to hear that the Pirate Movement in the US
> has consolidated to just one party. But this knowledge has
> not made it through for example to this list. If there ever was
> an announcement of  a formal fusion of PPUS and PPUS, than
> it sadly slipped my attention.

SEe...

There was one PPUS, it was our old name. Then problems with the
paperwork filed with the IRS (US Tax agency) meant we had to change to
USPP, that was a bit over a year ago. Then ,after we'd done that, and
filed a new name, Mr Todaro (who'd pulled out of our leadership election
in july09) decided to start a website using the same name around
september 09. Then he wanted arbitration via the USPP, because
complaints had been made that he was attempting to deceive people into
thinking his page was us, and taking money. Was a big long thing
involving several PPI meetings, and party members, should be in the
records what the decision was. And the 'other' one, American Pirate
Party, was never an actual pirate party (was just some reddit people
going for the name for a legalise drugs/prostitution rant) and only
lasted 2-3 months start to end.

> On 27.09.2010, at 15:33, Rodrigo Pereira wrote:
>
>>  The work that the ppi is (not) doing can be done by ourselves.
>
> PP of brazil has expressed its deeply disinterest in PPI business
> on several occasions. In fact, you are the only one Pirate Party
> who flatly refused to answer the "Pirate Party of the Week" questions
> stating  that "there is nothing to tell about, since there is yet
> no Pirate Party in Brazil" - I can clear see, what are you referring to,
> when you refer to the "work that you not doing by yourselves"

I think what he means is that
XIII. Functions of the Board
(1) The functions of the Board are:
(a) to act on behalf of the General Assembly between its meetings; to
give effect to its decisions, recommendations and policies; and to
represent it at international and national events
- - No such actions are done, and national parties are left to do it
themselves

(b) to promote the Pirate Movement throughout the world by means of
visits, correspondence, training courses and other appropriate action,
- - Also not done. A "Pirate Party of the week" that just goes to the
front page is NOT any sort of promotion, just as sticking a party poster
in your bathroom isn't.

(c) to advise and assist Member Organizations,
- - Also not done.

(d) to recommend the admission of Organizations applying for Membership,
- - Done, slowly

(e) to prepare the agenda and procedure of the meetings of the General
Assembly, giving consideration to suggestions from Member Organizations,
and appoint the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of the General Assembly
meeting,
- - Not done. Thought about, but still, not done.

(f) to appoint the Secretary General of Pirate Parties International,
and to appoint his Deputy or Deputies upon a recommendation of the
Secretary General; and to supervise the management of the PPI Headquarters,
- - I'm unaware of this being done either.

(g) to approve the annual budget and financial statements of the PPI
Headquarters,
- - Or this

(h) to accept the responsibility for the raising of additional funds, and
- - or this

(i) to exercise other functions resulting from this Statutes and its
By-Laws.
- - Only XII (3) is performed ("Other positions, including, but not
limited to... ...may be created by the Board")

I'd say it's a pretty clear indication that you're not doing anything.

I've just listed the responsibilities for your position, Gregory, and
you (collectively) have not done any of them. If it were a German
government official that had taken a job, and not done it, you'd be
clamoring for their resignation. So let's see some honesty from you
(collectively, of the board), and accept what we can all see. This
iteration of PPI is a failure. Step down, and let's see about getting
some people into place who are serious about fulfilling these tasks, and
not just when it's publicly brought up after 5 months.

And I should point out too, I didn't just decide this yesterday, bang
out the email and send it out. I've researched my facts over the past 2
weeks, spoken to quite a few people, and the general feeling I've got
back from that validated my point. In fact, I've probably spoken to more
parties in the last week, than the whole board has in the last 2 months.

The raw facts are against you, Gregory, Jerry and co. You can try and
spin your way out, but that's not the pirate way. We want leaders who
are man enough to stand up and admit their mistakes, not 'traditional'
politicians who say something to get a position, and then act in a
different way in office.

I know how hard the job can be, but that doesn't excuse the actions, or
lack of, that we've all seen.

Andrew Norton
Legal Officer
US Pirate Party