[pp.int.general] Correct word usage for PP.

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sat Apr 9 20:16:58 CEST 2011

    IMO it's not a problem to think in economic terms,

I can see several meanings for that statement.  If you mean that
thinking in economic terms is sometimes useful, I agree.  I don't want
to eliminate thinking in economic terms.

However, we are campaigning for the human right to share, so we want
people to think of sharing in terms of freedom, not in terms of
mere economics.

I think you're referring to the field of behavioral economics, which
rejects the premise that everyone behaves rationally.  Behavioral
economics attempts to fix flaws in economic theory to make it fit
reality better.  I'm all for it, but what I'm talking about is
something else.  I'm not saying "Promote better economic theories",
I'm saying "Encourage people to think of this issue in terms of their
rights, not in terms of economic gain and loss."

    But I get the smart idea of "published/unpublished", which introduces
    privacy as a "value" ;-).

The reason I refer to this distinction is that we advocate the freedom
to share copies of published works, but not unpublished works/data.
We demand the freedom to redistribute copies of (published) musical
recordings, but we don't ask for the freedom to redistribute copies of
your credit card number.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation