[pp.int.general] Correct word usage for PP.

NingúnOtro ningunotro at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 11 21:14:13 CEST 2011

El lun, 11-04-2011 a las 13:46 -0400, Richard Stallman escribió:
> Richard obviously tries to recruit those that are nearly white into the
>     inner circle of complete sanctity, and has trouble defending his
>     coherent thoughts in front of people that ignore so much of the inner
>     cohesion of his views that they repeatedly ask trivially superficial
>     questions and prefer to have lulz while organizing perfectly futile
>     public demonstrations they believe suit them best as possible actions.
>
> There is an element of truth in this, but it's not totally true.  For
> instance, don't knock public demonstrations.  They can be very effective.
> Sometimes even small ones can be effective.

Of course it is not totally, always and unconditionally true, Richard
When talking about sociologic matters the rules are not as absolute as
is with mathematics. Sociology handles statistical tendencies in mass
movements, not absolute mathematical truths. I have not knocked ALL
public demonstrations, I've merely stated that MANY of them are
instigated by people that stay behind the scenes, many people
participate in them fur-teh-lulz, misleaded, or naively ethousiastic...
and most of the time the aims of those behind the scenes are attained
cheaply costing only the final disillusion of the cannon fodder that did
not matter to them in the first place anyway.

>     As his strategy more or less demands anyone to become monks and accept
>     reclusion in a monastery to avoid contamination, and refrain from mixing
>     with those that prefer the lulz for all the wrong reasons,
>
> None of that is true.  A free software freedom fighter is an
> organizer, not a recluse.  We don't shun the people who half-support
> our cause; far from it.  What we do is try to convince them to do more
> and do it more forcefully.
>
>     While Richard tries to win for the cause those that are most close to
>     white already,
>
> That's not true.  I try to reach whoever will listen, and the people
> who listen often are people who know nothing about the issue.

Of course, I'm exaggerating for the sake of increased awareness. The
point I want to make is that while from your point of view and with your
criteria you may think you are asking not that much... it is up to them
to decide whether what you ask does not alienate them from their social
environment more than they want to risk. I have never smoked, I've
almost never drunk more than three beers in any given week, and I've
never cared to get a drivers license... and I've had to fight hard not
to give up and join the party crew and lose conscience partying until
the early hours every week. It is not about who you reach... it is about
how much change you can ask from them before they decide not to change
at all because you ask more than they can afford without alienating
themselves from their usual environment.

>     Thus I choose to expose the inconsistencies of the logic and the
>     ethic (if one can call them such) used by the dark forces. To be able to
>     do this in the proper context and with any expectation of succes, one
>     can not tell almost black people how nice being white is, because there
>     will never be enough budget available to adopt such a big change by
>     anyone no matter how good you are at convincing them.
>
> That is an exaggeration.  It is not terribly hard for most people to
> migrate to free software.  However, being a free software campaigner
> is distinct from migrating to free software.  The only sacrifice
> required to campaign for free software is the time and effort you put
> into the campaign.

I'm not talking exclusively about free software advocacy and software
migration, but more about using logically and ethically sound arguments
close to what should be the real deal about copyrights or alternatively
logically and ethically sound arguments loaded with sarcasm and irony to
wreck the poorly constructed arguments of the copyright industry.

>      You can not ask
>     from people in a wilderness ful of lions that they throw away their bows
>     and spears and become vegetarian pacifists,
>
> That's not analogous at all.  I don't ask people to make themselves
> more vulnerable to mistreatment -- on the contrary, I tell people how
> much they are being mistreated now, and I invite them to protect
> themselves.

It is analogous, maybe not in how you perceive the impact of what you
ask on their situation, but surely in how they may perceive the impact
of what you ask on their situation. Even if they evaluate the impact
wrongly... they will react in the lines of their wrong evaluation, not
according to how right you are (being the only one to know it).

> When I got this far, I saw there were another hundred-odd lines in
> your message, so I stopped.

Ok, Richard, we have been here before ;) . And I respect your limits.