[pp.int.general] PPI GA Prague / Video Conference System for remote delegates

Felipe Sanches juca at members.fsf.org
Wed Dec 28 19:12:15 CET 2011

2011/12/28 Rok Andrée <rok.andree at piratskastranka.net>

> It is not only Stallman's opinion.
>> It is also my opinion and I hope that more people here also agree with us
>> that software freedom matters.
>

> Shure it does. Freedom of software matters, but the ability for all
> delegates to participate equally and the survival of PPI matters way, way
> more.

We are not talking about "freedom of software". We are talking about
freedom of people who use software.

Also, you mention the importante of "the ability for all delegates to
participate equally", and I agree. If a delegate is required (even for a
moment) to give up a portion of its political values (such as software
freedom) in order to participate then it is not true that delegates have
the ability to participate equally.

It is not a matter of software freedom being some kind of religion as
someone here has accused earlier. Suppose that the gathering was only
face-to-face and that the only meals available to the delegates were made
of meat with no reasonable vegetarian choice in the surrounding area. It
would effectively block the participation of delegates who happen to be
vegetarians. Vegetarianism is not a religion, it is a political value. Try
asking for a vegetarian to sacrifice for a single moment and eat meat in
order to participate. It would be an insult, the same way it would be an
insult to be asked to give up software freedom in order to participate as a
delegate.

One important thing to notice is that while the example I used may seem
completely unrelated to the pirate movement (vegetarianism) , we gotta
remember that software freedom is an absolutely related political idea.
Lawrence Lessig work on the Free Culture movement is explicitely recognised
by himself as a result of inspiration in the work of Richard Stallman and
the Free Software movement.

So what I am asking for is that we be sure to take care of enabling every
delegate to participate remotely without coercing delegates to give up
software freedom.

happy hacking,
Felipe Sanches
Garoa Hacker Clube - São Paulo, Brazil