[pp.int.general] PPI GA Prague / Video Conference System for remote delegates

Wolfgang Preiss w.preiss at gmx.de
Wed Dec 28 19:22:50 CET 2011

Am 28.12.2011 18:09, schrieb Felipe Sanches:
> It is not only Stallman's opinion.
> It is also my opinion and I hope that more people here also agree with
> us that software freedom matters.

I'd like to point out some details, which are kinda mixed up:

Streaming:

I do provide streaming which is transported by the rtmp and the rtsp
protocoll. First can be watched using a flash based (but open source)
player on piraten-streaming.
Second can be watched with several different players, including VLC
which claims to be consistand of mostly free components.

I have not tried, but it is likely that even the above mentioned player
(JW Player) also works with gnash.

 From what I have read, the free software extremists are only satisfied
if the stream is ogg, only ogg and nothing but ogg? Isn't it enough that
I priovide a solution that does not force you into non-free software?

Video-Conferencing:

I have checked so many different software meanwhile, and whatever is web
based uses flash in order to get access to the cam and microfone. I have
found one open souce conference software, which disabled video
conferencing due to not wanting to use H.264 or V8

So: By Stallman even skype is out of discussion due to ideology

Try to check this from my perspective: I am trying to satisfy as many
poeple as possible, and so far, this is the only mailing list, I receive
a shitstorm when talking about my services. I DO want to provide a
satisfiying stable service, but your demands (not wishes, but demands)
make it hard for me. So far noone has offered my a solution, all option
I get is try and error. I do get told, HOW something could be done
better (and not only by "use free software") but only "you do it wrong"

This is extremly frustrating.

In another mail you compared this to vegetarians: But you do not only
want to be served vegetarian food, you also demand that no other is
eating something different (after the system is supposed to serve all users)

So - from my point of view - a few extremists (of which I know one will
not be using the system anyway) - decide for all the rest of what
ideology is right and wrong for them. Where is the free choice?

Wolfgang

by the way Felipe: Will you be the delegate for your country
participating via the video conference software?