[pp.int.general] Old woman ****ed by copyright lobby - Can we do something?

Choms choms at botmania.net
Thu Dec 29 13:34:27 CET 2011

2011/12/29 Christian Hufgard <pp at christian-hufgard.de>

> Hi Antior,
>

> http://torrentfreak.com/retired-computerless-woman-fined-for-pirating-hooligan-movie-111222/
> >
> > I just ran into this article, which basically tells of how an old woman
> > in Germany has to pay 650 euros for 'copyright infringement', while she
> > didn't even have a computer at the time this supposedly happened. The
> > judge ruled in favour of the copyright lobby. Apparently in Germany
> > you're guilty if *you've ever in the past used a certain IP* that has
> > been used for 'copyright infringement'.
>
> Yap, that's our current law. The exact term is "Störerhaftung"
> (liability for disturbance). The judge must assume, that she did not
> secure her internet properly and thus she has to pay for somebody elses
> download. If it was her IP address, because the spying companies tend to
> make mistakes...

But how can you blame somebody for a crime who did not commit only for not
protecting him connection? I mean, by example, a hacker break your WEP
password and download child pornography, the judge really can charge you
for CP consumption? Even knowing you don't have any computer? o.o

I mean, here in Spain at least, most people keep the default password on
their routers, and you can break default passwords with the phone... even
more, the Culture Ministry have an open WiFi connection, you can connect to
it and download copyrighted material lol (one day I streamed a Spanish
Pirate Party demonstration in front of Culture Ministry using their own
WiFi xDDD)