[pp.int.general] Statutes TF 2nd meeting - conference statutes amendments proposals

Gregory Engels Gregory.Engels at piratenpartei-hessen.de
Wed Feb 9 14:48:20 CET 2011

On 09.02.2011, at 13:51, Brendan Molloy wrote:

> Why are we using archaic teleconferencing instead of a mumble or
> ventrilo server? Or even Skype? Am I missing something obvious here?

Yes, you are misssing the people, who are on the road and are
participating by using an archaic phonecall, that is working fine even
on places or situations where access to a computer keyboard or
internet is limited (like riding in the car or waiting for a train).

The second point is, that out telco server is allowing us to stream
the meeting. (Mumble only supports recording in the newer versions,
but no streaming)

Skype is bad in many ways - no phone conferences with more than 16
People (and it gets unstable with more than 12 quite often), no
streaming, no recording, unfree software that has included spying
features in a non-transparent way. (We are not strive for secrecy,
since we want open and transparent meetings, but no one knows what
data is being collected by skype and in whose order or benefit)

Of cause you can still use your computer and a soft-phone (a SIP
client) to dial in our telco server, if you do not have a phone or
prefer to communicate over computer.

Gregory Engels
International Coordinator
Pirate Party of Germany