[pp.int.general] No PPI board meeting tonight

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Wed May 25 14:30:30 CEST 2011

On 5/25/2011 8:06 AM, Antonio Garcia wrote:
> If 4 form a qualified quorum, as you suggest, you might consider the
> meeting to have validly taken place with only one point on the agenda...
> to postpone treatment of any matter to the next meeting.
>
> Does it really matter that the formalities of what was reasonably
> possible have not been followed? Have they simplified one step too far?

These are the statutes. They were codified for a reason. Once you start
ignoring them for expediency on one occasion, then you start ignoring
them more and more often, and in the end, what's their point.

These were the very rules that they agreed to abide by when running and
taking office. As we as a whole, as a movement, are trying to hold
politicians to a higher standard in their actions, and often running on
that very basis for office, how can we then turn around and say 'well,
it doesn't really matter, it might SAY it, but it doesn't mean we have
to abide by it' - does that make us any better, any different?

We had the same problem with the last board as well, deciding not to
honour their requirements (even though they mostly wrote those
requirements) and I called that board out on it too. This one promised
they would be different. Seems they aren't.

Over the past year, I've witnessed PPI becoming increasingly irrelevant.
The website was down for months, the IRC system is a mess (the UK party
has been trying to fix it, but no-one seems interested, including the
PPI, whose primary function includes improving communication),
Conferences that favour parties from one region, bodies staffed without
public notice, and so on.

If our parties were run, as PPI is run, we'd all still be back where we
were 5 years ago. Things have GOT to change.

>> Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 07:52:18 -0400
>> From: ktetch at gmail.com
>> To: pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net
>> Subject: Re: [pp.int.general] No PPI board meeting tonight
>>
> On 5/24/2011 1:40 PM, Pat Mächler wrote:
>> Dear pirates,
>
>> Four board members (me, Samir, Marcel, and Lola) are currently in
>> Brussels due to PPI related duties. We decided that we will skip this
>> meeting within the board, as we will not be attending.
>> I apologize that this note comes a bit late. We did not had the
>> opportunity to send it earlier.
>
> Doesn't this now mean that it's been more than a month between board
> meetings, which is a violation of the statutes (which says that it must
> meet at least once a month)
>
> The 4 of you could have held a meeting in person and tape-recorded it
> (no real difference from what passes as a meeting now)
>

>> regards
>> Pat Maechler
>> Treasurer Pirate Parties International

Pirate Parties International - General Talk
pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net