[pp.int.general] Fwd: 18 new MEPs to arrive next month

Justus Römeth squig at dfpx.de
Tue Nov 15 13:56:31 CET 2011

It does not seem likely that this will be implemented before the next
election, when the cards will be shuffled again. Now, 25 MEP is a high
number we can not expect to reach within the next 2 election circles,
although with the right scandals it could be possible (keep in mind that
Germany sends the biggest numbers of MEPs and the PPDE polls at 6-8% at the
moment), so assuming that this will depend on our 2 current MEPs is a bit
early I think.

What I read about the proposal does not specify what requirements such a
'group' would need to meet in order to be allowed to put forward a
European-wide list. If you know more, feel free to share it, but until then
we can assume that it may be enough for a group to be in a national
parliament, or to be represented in the EP, which the PPs may well be by
that time. I for one think it can be harmfull to associate too closely with
the Greens, but that may be because I am from a country where both the
Greens as well as the PP are quite big, and (need to) differ on some ideas.
I am not questioning Christian and Amelia having joined the Green fraction
in the EP, but I doubt it would be wise to run as part of them in a
European-wide election.

Does anybody know how much the European Liberal Democrat and Reform
Party<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Liberal_Democrat_and_Reform_Party>is
ruled by economic liberalism, and how much they care about civil
liberties? With the German Liberals defunct it could make sense for PPDE to
join them instead of the Greens for differentiation, since the traditional
German liberal party (FDP) is at an all-time-low (disclaimer: I am just a
simple member of PPDE, who doesn't even have contact to the board of PPDE,
this is a play with thoughts, not the announcement of some sort).