[pp.int.general] Towards a Pirate Policy on Environmental Issues

Daniel Riaño danielrr2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:38:46 CEST 2012

Thanks for your answer, Amelia. It may be the case that your source was
biased and the people who produced the report was trying to spread the
feeling that large corporations are collectively providing the majority of
the jobs worldwide. But I don't think this is so (it is certainly not so in
Spain, where SMEs are, by large, the responsibles of the majority of jobs,
and they depend crucially in new information technologies for their
survival.)

The largest employer in the world, by far, is Wall-Mart [I'm using Fortune
Magazine data here, and I am making calculations using an estimation of a
labour force worldwide of about 3.230 million people for a population of
7.000 million people]. WallMart employs (some would say that's only a way
of speaking) 2.200.000 workers. That's a huge number, but it's only a 0,07%
of the labour force worldwide. The next largest employer (China national
petroleum) employs just 1.700.000 workers (ca. 0,05 of labour force
worldwide) . The 50th largest corporation by number of employees is
Berkshire (270K employees, a 0,008% of the total). The biggest corporation
by revenue in 2011 (Royal Dutch Shell) employs 90K people (about the same
as the second largest), that is a 0,002%.