[pp.int.general] Towards a Pirate Policy on Environmental Issues

Daniel Riaño danielrr2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 12:00:05 CEST 2012

Dear Amelia,

Sorry for the late reply. These days I spend most of the time in a partial
state of internet isolation...
I think most EU members are using the same criteria to evaluate the size of
companies in official statistics. Using such criteria, a company with 249
or less employees is counted as medium sized or small not only by the
Eurostat Structural Business Statistical database (which I am sure you know
far better than me) but also by the state members' bureaus of statistics.
So even when the may feel that the requirements for being considered a "big
firm" have been settled a little bit too low, at least we can feel
comfortable considering that we are comparing comparanda (of course if we
are willing to rise the bar of how many workers define a "large business"
from 250 to something like 300 or so, the impact of SMEs in job creation
will grow too.)

I had the opportunity to take a look at some official documents, and I
think they support my view that the main creators of jobs in the private
sector in the EU are small and medium bussiness, not the large ones.
In a report for the European Commission by Paul Wymenga, Viera Spanikova,
James Derbyshire, and A. Barker "Are EU SMEs recovering from the crisis?
Annual Report on EU Small and Medium sized Enterprises 2010/2011"
Rotterdam, Cambridge, 2011 (URL missing now, sorry) the authors (citing
Eurostat Structural Business Statistical database, which is contains data
up to 2007, updated by the authors up to 2010) by 2010 small and medium
enterprises accounted for the 66,9% of the jobs in the EU area, that is,
slightly more than 2/3 of the total [note: I think this figures are
relative to the *public* sector, not to the whole workforce). The figures
are only slightly lower for Spain, where SMEs account for 63,9% of the jobs
in 2011, according to the Directorio Central de Empresas.

I'll be eagerly waiting the results of your report.

Best wishes,

Daniel